All photos provided by WikiCommons!!!!
I think it’s safe to say we all know Tom because of the incredible acting work his son, Colin Hanks, has done….. Just kidding. Tom is one of the most beloved actors in not only Hollywood but also Bollywood, Dollywood and Jollywood (which is not as jolly as you would think). He’s been in all your favorite movies, minus Larry Crowne, and is one of the most all around likable guys in the world (made up fact).
No matter how well you know the guy, some of these 10 fun facts might surprise you:
- He is only the second actor in the history of the Academy Awards to win back-to-back Oscars. They were for (it’s always sunny in) Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994). The first actor was Spencer Tracy for his work in stuff.
- He got a part in Splash after Ron Howard saw him on a one-shot guest appearance on Happy Days. He originally read for a smaller part but got the lead instead after everyone realized he was Tom Hanks.
- Hanks has thanked a nearby (I’m not sure nearby to what) ice cream shop which he says helped him gain 30 pounds for his part in A League of Their Own. A surprising fact since he does not look 30 pounds overweight in that movie.
- Hanks was asked to play the lead part in Jerry Maguire but turned it down, presumably because he knew no one but Cruise could deliver “Show me the money” with such Cruise-like enthusiasm.
- Jim Lovell, the astronaut that Hanks plays in Apollo 13, is left-handed but Hanks did not want to write left handed in the movie. Which just shows what a prima donna and overall hard person to work with he can be.
- He is a diehard Cleveland Indians fan, which accounts for 40% of their fanbase.
- Hanks gained 55 pounds and later lost it, all for his part in Cast Away. Don’t feel too bad for him, he also got to vacation on a tropical island for a couple months while getting paid $20 million.
- He has been a good friend with Bruce Springsteen since his childhood…… this one sounds kinda made up.
- As a teenager, he worked at the Oakland Coliseum selling popcorn and peanuts. No wonder he’s not an A’s fan, he had to work at that stadium!
- For a time, he shared a record with Tom Cruise and Will Smith as stars in the most consecutive $100 million-grossing movies. Hanks had seven in a row while Will Smith moved to eight.
- Bonus Fun Fact!!!! Has an asteroid named after him, “12818 tomhanks”. Suck on that Will Smith.
- Another Bonus Fun Fact!!!! He is often seen urinating…. In his movies, such as Green Mile, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13 and Dragnet.
- Yet Another Bonus Fun Fact!!!! Hanks has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes…… Actually, I guess this isn’t such a fun fact.