All photos provided by Wikicommons!!!
Stranger Things is a great show that seemed to come out of nowhere. Even more surprising, I loved it, and I usually hate things with kids but these little squirts did a great job.
Between the acting and music and Matthew Modine staring at things, it all came together to make a scary, original and overall amazing show.
Here are 10 fun facts you didn’t know about the show Stranger Things:
- The Duffer Brothers are huge Stephen King fans, putting in many hat tips to the author throughout the series. Such as the state trooper watching the morgue is reading “Cujo”. Cujo is a Stephen King book about a Rabi dog….. Unless I read the description wrong.
- The actress who plays Eleven, Millie Bobby Brown, was eleven years old during filming. And you thought it was just a clever name. I knew it wasn’t clever…… I can’t believe you idiots thought it was clever.
- When approached by Netflix to do the series, Winona Ryder admitted she did even know what ‘streaming’ was. She was so excited she asked where the nearest payphone was so she could call her agent.
- If you’re a fan of Jaws and Jaws 2 (even though Jaws 3 and 4 were the ‘real’ Jaws movies) you’d notice that the vehicles and uniforms worn by the Hawkins police department are identical to the Amity Island Police uniforms used in Jaws.
- Dustin’s medical condition is called cleidocranial dysplasia. It is a disorder where abnormal development of bones in the skull and collar area.
- In yet another homage to 80’s movies, the repeat shots of the Byers’ home with the porch swing is tribute to The Evil Dead. And you thought it was just a stupid house.
- Matthew Modine has been noted saying his character, Dr. Brenner, was supposed to be a plain jane wearing plaid shirts and jeans but crafted him after Cary Grant in “North by Northwest.” I for one think he should have worn his army helmet from Full Metal Jacket, although that may have been confusing.
- Millie Bobby Brown actually shaved her head for the show. Her mother filmed the whole thing and put it on youtube.
- In episode 7 where Hopper bursts into the bus to rescue the kids, the shot was made to look like Indiana Jones. The Duffer Brothers wanted the monster to wear a Nazi uniform but later decided it may have been too obvious.
- Gaten Matarazzo, who plays Dustin, went through a bit of puberty during filming. By the end, his voice changed so much they couldn’t use him for additional dialogue recordings. He was also four feet taller than his fellow child actors after the series so he will be replaced by CGI in season two.
- Bonus Fact!!! The Duffer Brothers wanted to make the remake of IT but were turned down, that’s why there are so many Stephen King references in the series. Man, these two are really going for the whole Wachowski Brothers thing.
- Bonus Fact!!! Will, El and Sara all have the same toy stuffed animal, Lion from Steiff….. I guess I could have left this one out.