All photos provided by Wikicommons!!!
Stranger Things is a great show that seemed to come out of nowhere. Even more surprising, I loved it, and I usually hate things with kids but these little squirts did a great job.
Between the acting and music and Matthew Modine staring at things, it all came together to make a scary, original and overall amazing show.
Here are 10 fun facts you didn’t know about the show Stranger Things:
- The Duffer Brothers are huge Stephen King fans, putting in many hat tips to the author throughout the series. Such as the state trooper watching the morgue is reading “Cujo”. Cujo is a Stephen King book about a Rabi dog….. Unless I read the description wrong.
A very depressed, injured Rabi dog.
- The actress who plays Eleven, Millie Bobby Brown, was eleven years old during filming. And you thought it was just a clever name. I knew it wasn’t clever…… I can’t believe you idiots thought it was clever.
- When approached by Netflix to do the series, Winona Ryder admitted she did even know what ‘streaming’ was. She was so excited she asked where the nearest payphone was so she could call her agent.
“In conclusion, I did not steal those shoes… I mean, I will take the part as the crazy mom who most likely steals shoes.”
- If you’re a fan of Jaws and Jaws 2 (even though Jaws 3 and 4 were the ‘real’ Jaws movies) you’d notice that the vehicles and uniforms worn by the Hawkins police department are identical to the Amity Island Police uniforms used in Jaws.
The REAL Jaws Movie….. Why don’t more sharks move to the Caribbean? There are so many more tourists to eat there.
- Dustin’s medical condition is called cleidocranial dysplasia. It is a disorder where abnormal development of bones in the skull and collar area.
- In yet another homage to 80’s movies, the repeat shots of the Byers’ home with the porch swing is tribute to The Evil Dead. And you thought it was just a stupid house.
- Matthew Modine has been noted saying his character, Dr. Brenner, was supposed to be a plain jane wearing plaid shirts and jeans but crafted him after Cary Grant in “North by Northwest.” I for one think he should have worn his army helmet from Full Metal Jacket, although that may have been confusing.
“Excuse me while I whip this out.”
This is the only photo on Wikicommons of Matthew Modine.
- Millie Bobby Brown actually shaved her head for the show. Her mother filmed the whole thing and put it on youtube.
- In episode 7 where Hopper bursts into the bus to rescue the kids, the shot was made to look like Indiana Jones. The Duffer Brothers wanted the monster to wear a Nazi uniform but later decided it may have been too obvious.
- Gaten Matarazzo, who plays Dustin, went through a bit of puberty during filming. By the end, his voice changed so much they couldn’t use him for additional dialogue recordings. He was also four feet taller than his fellow child actors after the series so he will be replaced by CGI in season two.
Not the actual cast members.
- Bonus Fact!!! The Duffer Brothers wanted to make the remake of IT but were turned down, that’s why there are so many Stephen King references in the series. Man, these two are really going for the whole Wachowski Brothers thing.
- Bonus Fact!!! Will, El and Sara all have the same toy stuffed animal, Lion from Steiff….. I guess I could have left this one out.
This has nothing to do with the show. I just think it’s a fun caricature.
All Photo’s Provided by Wikicommons!!
We’ve all seen Titanic, you know the movie, it’s Romeo and Juliet but on a big boat. Not surprisingly, that’s exactly how James Cameron sold the movie to the studios. My theory is that he heard Speed 2: Cruise Control was in the works and needed to beat them to it.
You may consider yourself an expert when it comes to the film, but I bet you didn’t know these 10 fun facts about the movie Titanic:
- After finding out about her nude scene, Kate Winslet flashed Leo in an attempt to break the ice when they first met. Did it work? Has that ever not worked?
“The academy said if I wanted an Oscar, I would have to get fully nude.”
- Replacement reels had to be sent to theaters because the originals were worn out from being played so much. Or from theater workers trying to ruin them because they couldn’t handle another viewing.
- Apparently, the studio wanted Matthew McConaughey to play the part of Jack but James Cameron made the wise decision to go with Leo. Remember, this was back in the 90’s when you weren’t quite sure what McConaughey looked like with a shirt on.
“Alright alright alright, you just pop that top off and I’ll draw ya naked with these here Crayola’s.”
- They only had one shot to film the scene where water comes crashing into the Grand Staircase room. It was their main set which was going to be destroyed by the water, because, you know, water destroys things.
- When made, the movie was the most expensive ever at $200 million. For that price, they could have build a real Titanic. When built, the Titanic cost about $7.5 million back in 1912 which is equal to about $150 million in 1997 dollars. Building a real Titanic and sinking it would have been a lot more interesting.
- Cameron went on the dives to see the real Titanic. He spent so much time down there, he developed into an asshole…. Alright, sorry, just seeing if you’re still reading this. He actually “ended up spending more time with the ship than its living passengers did.”
This is actually his fourth star. He wanted one every quarter mile.
- Leo and Kate committed to the film before there was a script. They liked Cameron so much they said yes before they even know it was a film about the Titanic…. That may not be true but they did agree to the movie based on Cameron’s 165 page outline, which is 40 pages too long for an actual script.
“Give me my fucking Oscar.”
- The stunt men in the engine room were actually only 5 feet tall to make the room look bigger. I think Cameron just likes laughing at short people.
- Although the grand staircase looks great in the film, it’s not technically accurate. They built it slightly bigger than the original because people back then tended to be smaller. This way the dimensions looked correct based off the size of the actors. Damn Cameron really is the king of the world (bonus fact: Leo ad libbed that line).
This is the real staircase, notice how small and pathetic it is.
- After the film, Kate Winslet was quoted saying, “You’d have to pay me an awful lot of money to work with James Cameron again.” And that’s why he’s the “king of the world.”
- Bonus fact: Billy Zane was cast after James Cameron saw him in the film The Phantom. Which accounts for 40% of people who saw The Phantom.
He’s name should just be ‘Billy Zane’ in all his movies.
- Bonus fact #2: There was a second Titanic that bumped into all kinds of shit and never sank. Check it out here.
No, you’re not drunk. There are two Titanics.