All photo’s provided by Wikicommons!!
We’ve all seen Sex and the City, whether it’s your favorite show or something your wife has on that you pretending not to watch. Either way, we are at least familiar with the characters, which is what really makes the show. Similar to Seinfeld, without memorable, lovable….. well, let’s go with likable characters, and a semi familiar cameo each episode, the show is nothing.
Even if you watch the show religiously, here are some fun facts that you probably didn’t know:
- Donald Trump made an appearance in a season two episode titled “The Man, The Myth, The Viagra” which really should be his campaign slogan. He later went on to present Cynthia Nixon her Emmy a couple years later. Presumably by saying something sexist.
- During all shots, Kim Cattrall insisted on wearing high heels since it would have been in line with her character Samantha. This seems like the laziest way to be an method actor. “My character would wear shoes, so I’m gonna wear shoes.”
- In the opening credits, the ballerina tutu that Sarah Jessica Parker wears cost $5 at a vintage clothing store. Which isn’t too surprising because it’s a pink children’s ballerina tutu and shouldn’t cost more than $5.
- Kim Cattrall originally turned down the roll for Samantha twice. She was later convinced by the shows creator’s (Darren Star) boyfriend that she should give it a shot. I for one am surprised she needed any convincing because her last TV appearance before the show was a cameo in one episode of the series Duckman: Private Dick/Family Man.
- Due to Sarah Jessica Parker’s real life pregnancy and birth of Ferris Bueller Jr., season 5 only has 8 episodes.
- Sex and the City was the first cable series to win an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series. They did not have the now famous “Outstanding Gossip Series” category yet.
- Cynthia Nixon (Miranda for those who just don’t pay attention), does not have pierced ears. The costume designers would have to send away to get clip-on earrings made.
- Alec Baldwin declined the part that eventually went to Matthew McConaughey in the episode “Escape from New York”, which should have really gone to Kurt Russell.
- Carrie and Aiden broke up twice, both times she was wearing a white dress and he was wearing a tux. Spoiler! Sorry, was the warning supposed to come before the actual spoiler?
- Because of the shows immense popularity, a tour was set up in New York city to show the filming locations of the show. Depending on who you ask, it’s probably not as exciting as Kramer’s NY City tour in Seinfeld.
- Bonus Fact!!!! During the series, Carrie asks 92 questions in her columns. I just have one, who reads her column?